In this lesson, we will learn about the Present Perfect Progressive/Continuous Tense. Remember, to see the rules and then quickly apply them in your sentence formation. This will not only help you in your speech but also in your email writing or blog writing.
RULES – Here are the rules to structure a Present Perfect Progressive/Continuous Tense
TO DO (ACTION VERBS)
- POSITIVE: SUB + HAS/HAVE + BEEN + VERB + ING + OBJECT
- NEGATIVE: SUB + HAS/HAVE NOT + BEEN + VERB + ING + OBJECT
- INTERROGATIVE: HAS/HAVE + SUB + BEEN + VERB + ING + OBJECT?
|Positive (of ‘play’)||Negative (of ‘play’)||Negative short form||Yes / No questions|
|I have been playing.||I have not been playing.||I haven’t been playing.||Have I been playing?|
|You have been playing.||You have not been playing.||You haven’t been playing.||Have you been playing?|
|He has been playing.||He has not been playing.||He hasn’t been playing.||Has he been playing?|
|She has been playing.||She has not been playing.||She hasn’t been playing.||Has she been playing?|
|It has been playing.||It has not been playing.||It hasn’t been playing.||Has it been playing?|
|We have been playing.||We have not been playing.||We haven’t been playing.||Have we been playing?|
|They have been playing.||They have not been playing.||They haven’t been playing.||Have they been playing?|
Usages of Present Perfect Continuous Tense
In this section, we will analyse the usages of Present Perfect Progressive/ Continuous Tense. We will see situations when continuous actions can be expressed.
To express an action which began at some time in the past and is still continuing. Examples –
- He has been flying the kite since 9 am.
- They have been searching for a house for the last two months.
- He has been working on this project since February 2019.
- She has been coming to dance classes since last Sunday.
- Manish has been getting the assignments written by Shweta for the last three hours.
- They have been trying to convince him for a long time.
To indicate an action that is already finished. In such cases, the continuity of the activity is emphasised as an explanation. For Examples –
- She is tired. She has been cleaning the house since she woke up.
- The plumber is frustrated. He has been trying to fix the leaky tap for the last two hours.
- Food is ready. I have been cooking since 7:00 AM in the morning.
- There is no water in the tank. She has been watering the plants for the last hour.
- Manish is famished. He has not been eating anything since he started his day.
- He is on cloud nine. He has been getting positive feedback from his boss since he joined this company.
CONVERSATION ON PERFECT PROGRESSIVE/CONTINUOUS TENSE
This is a conversation between Sarah and Sam, who are always naughty and always funny. Hope you enjoy the conversation.
Sarah- Since the time you came in our life, I have been taking care of you, like mom.
Sam- Have you really been doing so? I have not been realizing it.
Sarah- You have been exploiting me, mentally! All the timing you have been getting your school homework and other stuff done by me.
Sam- Dear sister, you have been helping me a lot and so do I.
Sarah- You have been helping me, but how?
Sam- When you work for me, you have been walking a lot, in this way you have been exercising. Indirectly, I have been helping you lose your weight. In spite of this, you have been putting weight; I fail to understand, why so?
Sarah- I have not been putting weight, you have been becoming fat.
Sam- Have not you been noticing yourself in the mirror?
Sarah- No! I have not been doing so since you have been keeping an eye on me.